MK's & TCK's : What's the difference?




   I have been asked A LOT, "What's the difference between and MK and a TCK?" They only ask me this when I introduce them to the term, and it's usually the first time they have heard them. 

This is the difference between them:

  • MK stands for 'Missionary Kid.' I've heard people define it as 'a missionary kid that lives overseas', but there are MK's in the US too. 

  • TCK stands for 'Third Culture Kid.' This is because they have three cultures. The culture from their native country, the country they are living in, and the culture that they themselves make by combining these. 

  • Most MK's are TCK's, but not all TCK's are MK's. God has called all of us to be missionaries wherever we live. This is why not all MK's are TCK's, since you can be a missionary where ever you live.

If that clears up the confusion, I'd like to say that being a TCK/MK is awesome!! Some people struggle with this and the feeling of being different and left out and deprived, but all MK/TCK's that I know are very proud of who they are and what they can become. 

(For all you people who are saying, "Aha! I get it. ...what's it like being a TCK or an MK?" You can check out my other post called TCK LAUGHS , where we explore the fun (and the hard part) of being a TCK.)


The TCK problem 'in a nutshell.'


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MCFARLAND USA REVIEW

THE GIVER Movie Review

THE AWAITED REVIEW OF PADDINGTON!