THE GIVER Movie Review 2

THERE ARE MINOR SPOILERS IN THIS POST




   'The Giver' fascinated me at the climax point. 
 Someone is going to be killed and Jonas is trying to release the memories before they are, which will save them. The Giver is trying to convince the Chief Elder that what they are doing is wrong, and that faith, hope, and love above all with everything human kind used to have can help us overcome the wrong.  
"We can choose better." he says. The Elder shakes her head sadly. "When people have the right to choose," she looks at him, "they choose wrong; every single time."  
This exchange is to me what made the movie. It asked the question, can man make the world better by deciding to make it so, or will they, when given the right to choose, choose selfishly and pick what satisfies them at that moment? The movie looked into human nature and gave you the right to choose. 'I'll let you decide," says Jonas.



 There were certain parts of the movie I wish they had left out. Jonas is apparently "in love" with Fiona, but since she does not have emotions, she is not. This is one of the reasons he gives her the apple. He later kisses her, both in real life and (a bit prolonged) in his dreams. There was nothing bad, but I felt like it took your attention away from the real plot.


As far as whether I preferred the movie or the book, I would definitely say that I preferred the book,  
though the movie did the book justice. The movie glorified Fiona's character, which was okay, until they added more of a romantic interest. They explained things in a little more detail in the book when it came to the Giver, but the movie definitely did it justice.



I won't give away the ending, but I will tell you, the movie ending was actually better than the book. It ends about 10 seconds after the book ends. :)

It is a definite watch AND read.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MCFARLAND USA REVIEW

THE GIVER Movie Review

THE AWAITED REVIEW OF PADDINGTON!